Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sorry, No C.O.D.s

I remember when I was a child I would see a commercial advertising a product. At the end of the commercial, the announcer would say, ‘Cash, check, money order and CODs accepted.” When I would see something I wanted to buy on television, I could buy it and have them to send it C.O.D.—cash on delivery. When it arrived, I would give the money to the postman or the UPS man and I would take possession of it. Now, I see more and more television commercials and infomercials that say, “Sorry, No CODs.” Why is this?

Some would say C.O.D.s are obsolete because of the advent of credit and debit cards. Also, many companies allow you to pay online or on the phone via your checking account. This is true. However, I think it goes much deeper.


I believe the reason most companies no longer accept C.O.D.s is because they have been scammed by too many people. This is the same reason why so many companies no longer accept checks. People deliberately write checks on accounts they know they do not have sufficient funds in. With identity theft on the rise, companies may soon stop taking credit and debit cards.  


What has happened to integrity in this country? A man’s word is no longer his bond and some people can’t be trusted as far as you can through them. With so many people wanting something for nothing that is not likely to change anytime soon.


So for the foreseeable future, no checks accepted and no CODs.

No comments: